Friday 1 June 2012

Getting all emo about poker


A little over two weeks ago I was well on target for my best cash month ever at poker, not only this but it was also on the back of 2 very solid months......I'd been on a pretty decent heater (by my standards). The poker gods and my self-destructive/retarded play had other ideas. As you can see from the graph below I really crashed and burned. 


The downswing started with a frustrating HU session against a pretty bad reg. I quickly lost 2 buyins Vs him in very standard spots (all in pre with KK Vs his AJ then top two in a 3 bet pot Vs a flopped set), at this point I should probably have quit as I know how bad I play as soon as I'm the slightest bit tilted but carried on only to make a very bad river call, at this point I finally quit. Since then I can't think of a session where I've played really well, I seem to be spewing off buyins on a daily basis at the moment. This combined with the fact that I've not been running great over the last 20k hands has lead to the biggest downswing I've ever had. It's also made me painfully aware of how mediocre I am at poker, I've got a database now of almost 800k hands and I just can't get my winrate above 5bbs/100 as soon as I start nearing that figure I go on some monster downswing or breakeven stretch and I'm back being a 4bb winner. I like to think that when I'm playing my A game I'm around a 5.5-6bb/100 winner, however because I spend half the time playing my B/C game I never actually attain these winrates. 
All I can take from last month is that I really need to address the tilt I suffer. What I should have done was give myself a break for a couple of days to take the momentum out of the downswing. I guess all I can do is try my best not to repeat what happened last month.

Besides me being a moron at poker I've been really motivated to skate recently as I got a sweet new setup, the weather's been amazing and an awesome new skatepark has just opened up in a neighbouring town. Here's me putting them through their paces at the new park.


2 comments:

  1. Blimey, this post pretty much sums up what has been happening to me over the past month or so!! On a smaller scale of course :-) And, I always ALWAYS regret not taking a break when tilt creeps in after a nice big upswing.

    Best of luck for June Wonga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, hopefully I'll get to my winning ways. If not I'll just bink a tournament in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete